Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Pathology Report is back and it is AMAZING NEWS!

I just got off the phone with my surgeon where she informed me that the pathology results were ALL CLEAR!  To be specific the lymph node biopsy was negative and all clear of cancer.  NO LYMPH NODE INVOLVEMENT.  I also had clear margins on all sides of the mastectomy and no cancer in my right breast.  

There was great concern that I would not have clear margins around the largest tumor because it was very close to the skin.  Due to this we were prepared for the margins to come back with cancer, and ultimately, radiation would be needed.  This is what I had prepared myself for after the surgeon had explained her concerns to me.  But, some how, we  received the outcome we were praying for.   

Although this news is fantastic there is a stark reality tucked inside it.  The largest tumor was 2.7cm which is over one inch.  The second tumor was 0.6cm which is approximately about the size of an eraser on the end of a pencil.  Inside my left breast was multi-focal DCIS (the first stages of cancer) throughout the entirety of my breast with lobular involvement throughout.  It also was focal vascular invasive.  My cancer nurse explained that if we had not been able to do the surgery as quickly as we had my results would be much worse than what I was given today.  Bottom line is the cancer was spreading, and spreading fast.  I am very lucky that surgery was able to happen as quickly as it had and not waited the average 2-3 weeks. 

My staging will stay at stage II, this is based on the size of the largest tumor.  The next step at this point is for me to meet with my oncologist.  I scheduled that appointment for a phone interview tomorrow.  We will get a preliminary plan started then while I start to mentally prepare for my next battle to conquer.  I will still need chemotherapy and herceptin for a minimum of a year because I have HER2+ cancer and again that is the most aggressive form.  To answer the question, yes I will be losing my hair.  Everyone asks that question first for some reason.  It's just hair and I am not worried about it so please don't any of you worry about it either!

As I sit here and type this post I can't stop crying.  In my heart I had prepared for the worst.  I knew all the outcomes and I wanted to be ready for it.  Each outcome was going to be so much harder on me but in the end my little family, my parents, and siblings.  I have been praying harder, and more frequently, than any other time in my life to give me the strength to endure whatever it was.  And now I am in shock that the news was the best that I could have received.  I know it is not from my prayers alone, but from those of so many others that cared and took a minute to include me and my family in their own prayers.  I want you to all know how grateful I am to you.  It was going to take a miracle and I got it.  


It wasn't just prayers that helped get these results, it was the fact that I did self breast exams.  Until I take my last breath I will beg all women to do self breast exams.  Fear unravels inside my body when I think about the very different future I would be looking at if I had not found that lump and checked it as frequently as I had.  I know that the Lord prompted me to make Scott feel it, to schedule an appointment, and with every step I took to find the tumor(s) as fast as I did.  Please if you are reading this and are a woman, start doing self exams.  If you are a man reading this and have a significant other, start doing an exam on your partner.  If you are a mom with a daughter and she has started her period, sit down and show her how to do a self exam.  I know that this saved my life and I believe, with my entire heart, that it could save another woman too.



13 comments:

  1. THIS IS AMAZING NEWS!! We have been praying so hard for you!! And I thank God you were self aware and did self exams. Las time I was a the doctor she checked me and showed me how. This is SUCH a relief!! We will continue to pray for you and your family, and love you lots!! ☺️💝🎉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear you got yourself checked. Put a reminder in your phone to get checked again next year!

      Delete
  2. I’m so happy you have received this news! I’ve been thinking of you and your family every day, often!
    The waiting is absolute agony! And as a mom our first thought is how it will affect our family.
    You’re so right...hair is no big deal! It comes back. Think of the money saved on hair products ... positive thinking and humor are great medicine!

    We will continue to keep you in our positive thoughts and prayers!💕🙏🏻💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly I wish that we had spent more time together before "this". Just passing in the halls, baseball games, or other kid events did not prepare me for what a phenomenal woman you are. I am praying your neck is healing fast and that there is no more pain lady.

      Delete
  3. You have been on my mind all day. I actually checked your site early this morning to see if you had gotten the news yet. This is, indeed, really, really good news. I like to think of the chemo as your fight to get well and healthy. Hair and discomfort pale with that really good end in near sight. Prayers continue from me and Steve and we send our love to you, Scott, and your whole precious family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn I hope Steven and you know how much you are missed by Scotty and me. I agree with you, chemo will be my hardest fight, but I'm ready. Scared, but ready.

      Delete
  4. God is good Alicia! My husband and I have been praying and praying for you! So glad your results are better than you expected. Hang in there... if there's anything you need, please don't hesitate to ask.

    -April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the prayers lady, thank you. Tell Sonora thanks for being nice to Brody. He doesn't get treated that great at school (as we have talked about previously) and she has been really kind to him at recess over the past few weeks. Your daughter has been an answer to one of my prayers lady, hug her for me.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow what a wonderful and incredible miracle this is. We have all been praying so hard for you ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is good news girl! You have been in my mind, my heart, and in my prayers continually...and that’s where you’re staying. Still praying and standing in faith with you that God will continue to heal and provide you and your sweet family with the strength and comfort you all need. Love you much ♥️
    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good to see you last night at swim practice! I was overwhelmed a little bit by being there, never thought I would feel that way on the deck of a pool, by all the well-wishes I received. Keep your eyes on Scotty and the kids for me. Not sure how many practices and meets I will be able to attend. Hugs to your whole family, mom and dad too.

      Delete

New Website

Keep up to date at the new website!! www.her2andyou.com Has all the old blog posts and more.  Can't wait for you to check it out.